New Life for Your PCs – PC Repurposing for VDI
You run Citrix, VMware Horizon, Microsoft Remote Desktop, or any other VDI solution? Or you use hosted virtual desktops (DaaS)? Then this is what you need – NoTouch is the PC Repurposing solution that solves your problem:
Turn your old endpoint devices (PCs and laptops) into new, secure and virus proof, centrally manageable thin client devices that can connect to your server-side desktops (e.g. Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop, VMware Horizon View, Quest vWorkspace, Microsoft Remote Desktop / Terminal server infrastructure) or cloud hosted desktops out of the box.
With NoTouch Desktop – essentially a “software” thin client – you can
- Re-use your old desktop hardware – PCs, but also existing Thin Clients
- Extend the life your existing hardware and secure your investment
- Get all the benefits of thin client computing without buying new hardware
- Save on management costs
NoTouch Desktop works on old and new PCs, laptops and x86-Thin-Clients (even some ARM models) of all brands. It is the perfect way to give a new life to older hardware and makes transition into VDI with VMware much more cost effective.
- Why maintain a full blown Windows on your PCs with the only purpose to connect via VMware Horizon View to your server environment?
- Why pay for Windows anti-virus licenses, 3rd-party management licenses, Windows updates when switching to a Linux based endpoint is easy and painless?
- Why worry about how to roll out VMware Horizon View clients on different versions of Windows, keeping it up-to-date?
- Why purchase dedicated (thin client) hardware when re-purposing your existing PCs is so simple and affordable?
- Why don’t benefit from an included endpoint management solution making desktop visits of support staff unnecessary
What is – technically speaking – NoTouch Desktop
NoTouch Desktop is a hardware agnostic endpoint PC repurposing and administration solution. Technically it consists of
- NoTouch Receiver, the minimal-footprint operating system that goes out on your existing PCs and Thin Clients of various brands. It can run from USB sticks, network boot, CD-ROMs and the local hardware; if you want you can make it wipe out Windows
- NoTouch Center, the central administration solution for configuration, monitoring, update, remote-control of your endpoints
- Stratodesk Virtual Appliance, an optional component, that includes a preinstalled instance of NoTouch Center and a ready-to-run PXE/network boot server solution.
But I wanted to buy Thin Clients…
That’s fine and NoTouch is available preloaded on different models from our partners and also runs on third-party devices. Chances are however you can not dump all your PCs in your organization and replace them with Thin Clients. Start with PC Repurposing now, then switch to Thin Client hardware when necessary and run NoTouch on these Thin Clients. Second, even older PCs are more powerful than new hardware. Why pay $ 300 to buy a box that is less powerful than the one you are trashing?
So we suggest to use your existing hardware with NoTouch as long as possible and then, when you are really ready to buy new hardware, you are still free to buy what you want: Any Thin Client brand, any PC brand… NoTouch is not tied to a specific hardware so there is no vendor-lock-in.
Imagine, ANY machine, PC, TC, all with same end-user experience, same administrator experience, same management paradigm. No vendor-lock-in, no “argh this HW can only be managed with that SW”, etc.
Does NoTouch run with Windows?
NoTouch does not need Windows. It is a complete appliance based on Linux and you don’t need to have any OS or Linux skills; every aspect of the system can be centrally managed. Your choice:
- run NoTouch side-by-side/dual-boot with Windows (we call it live boot)
- install NoTouch on a system’s hard drive or flash drive, effectively wiping Windows out
- run NoTouch inside a virtual machine in a Windows OS, e.g. to provide a clear boundary between user-controlled Windows (BYOD – bring your own device situation) and company-controlled NoTouch
Not sure if your hardware is good to go? How about these minimal requirements:
- PC / Thin Client device
- 500 MHz or more
- 128 MB memory (RAM)
That’s it! Give it a try – download our free trial version!
Also have a look at the various boot, deployment and roll-out options:
- Full hard drive installation (wipes out the existing OS); can be triggered from USB, CD-ROM or PXE/network boot, the latter scaling up to thousands of machines
- USB boot (live boot mode – OS on hard drive will be untouched), side-by-side with an OS
- PXE/Network boot
Yes, all is just so easy and ready to go. We are sure to have the most sophisticated PXE environment ever. We ship a virtual appliance that contains a PXE server for your datacenter and NoTouch endpoint instances can be satellite PXE servers (!) in remote locations. The virtual appliance also hosts NoTouch Center, the central management console. Your PC Repurposing solution from Stratodesk allows to start up instantly!
Sounds interesting – what are the benefits for me again?
- Get a small-footprint OS for all your endpoints – without any 3rd-party dependencies, not even a Windows operating system
- Run it on existing and new hardware, run it on PCs and various Thin Clients; don’t even think about which machines are capable or not: they are ALL capable!
- Don’t let yourself being locked in by a traditional Thin Client vendor – separate hardware from software, retain or freedom to decide what hardware brand you want to buy, whenever you are ready to do so
- Decide how you run it: installed on a hard drive, live from PXE/network, live from USB, live from CD-ROM and retain the freedom to change your mind at any time
- Cancel your antivirus and Windows-PC-management-software contracts and save big bucks
- Enjoy the peace of mind of a maintenance free endpoint solution
- Enjoy the even greater peace of mind of a secure endpoint solution
Why NoTouch Receiver is the right OS for your hardware
- Future Proofs Your Desktop
Use your old hardware but get all advantages of a new thin client. Works on nearly every hardware configuration, even stuff that hasn’t invented yet.
- Easy To Set Up
NoTouch Receiver OS is easy to set up, configure, and manage. Sessions can easily be configured out of the box with the integrated installer.
- Highly Flexible With Many Connection Options
No Touch Operating System connects to a wide range of terminal services and virtual desktops e.g. Microsoft Terminal Services, VMware View with PCoIP, CITRIX XenDesktop, Quest vWorkspace and many others. Control everything from your browser!
- Freedom from Legacy Drag and Software Bloat
Ditch the “every PC is an island” approach and use one single operating system for your entire VDI network – and run it from your server! Skip the Frankenstein hardware upgrades to your aging PCs – most of your existing PCs endpoints will easily meet our minimal hardware requirements!
- Centrally Manageable
Employees no longer need to be amateure IT sleuths to keep their workstations running smoothly. All PCs devices are controlled with NoTouch’s integrated management tool NoTouch Center. Never ask your employees to tinker with their PCs again.
Central Management: NoTouch Center
This management suite is the second part of NoTouch Desktop. This browser based administration center helps IT administrators to manage, configure and update repurposed PCs and laptops from one place. By supporting inheritage of settings, groups can be set up fast and configured very easily.
- Central Management
Manage all your clients remotely from one single device. Change setting, apply settings to the whole group, group clients and update or reboot your clients without visiting any user’s desktop.
- Browser-based tool
The browser-based NoTouch Center is accessible from every device with web browser.
- Multi-User Support and Rights Management
NoTouch Center offers user management for diverse administration tasks. No Touch supports your Microsoft® Active Directory or Novell® eDirectory.
- Real-time Monitoring & Tactical Overview
The dashboard shows you a tactical overview of your system at a glance and enables you to easily drill down into data like the system load, distribution of images, and article numbers.
- Asset Management & Peripheral Inventory
Stratodesk’s Asset Management is more than just a standard inventory. See what peripherals like monitors or USB sticks and others are plugged into NoTouch devices. See all your peripherals at a glance in location near you and far away.
- Flexible Reporting Tool
With the flexible reporting tool you are able to analyze your system and use templates such as hardware inventory lists. Reports can be generated and automatically sent by email at scheduled times.
- Job Scheduling
Job scheduling enables the system administrator to comfortably execute actions at predefined times.
Want to know more about NoTouch Desktop? Download the NoTouch Desktop data sheet here!
What about pricing? How can I try?
Just one price – that includes the endpoint OS, the management, the PXE virtual appliance. No hidden fees or cost.
Stratodesk Corp. is based in San Francisco, California with a central European field office in Austria. We are the leader in PC Repurposing and we know what we are doing. We have an excellent track record. Testimonials available.
Scalable Pricing Structure
Cost per client goes down as usage increases!
Click on the free trial button, fill out the form to get the PC Repurposing solution you need!
Questions? Write to [email protected].