For the 9th time Virtualization and Cloud executives shared their predictions for the coming year on VMblog.com. VMblog asked VDI and repurposing specialist, Stratodesk CEO Emanuel Pirker, to share his VDI predictions for 2017.
Read now exclusively, why VDI partners and customers will be smiling in 2017:
Larger companies are making bigger VDI deployments. In the past, companies experimented with proof-of-concept testing on a few hundred clients. Now, there’s more evidence of the value of VDI, and we’re seeing larger companies repurpose as many as 7,000 PCs as VDI clients in as little as a weekend.
A greater percentage of companies are choosing to repurpose PCs for faster ROI. A VDI project cuts operational expenses, but it is capital intensive to launch. Awareness is spreading that companies can trim 40 percent off capital outlays by repurposing existing PCs instead of buying thin clients. Companies use the savings to make investments such as beefing up their VDI servers to maximize the performance of virtual desktops.
As deployments grow, it’s even more important to have flexible, centralized management. More companies are aware that a VDI client management tool needs to meet requirements such as these:
- Is it vendor-agnostic? Will it support most types of thin clients and repurposed PCs and laptops, or does it come from a technology vendor that wants to lock customers in to only certain types of PCs and thin clients?
- Does it enable a client to support dual monitors, or just a standard VGA connection?
- Does it replace vulnerable Windows operating systems on endpoints with an encrypted Linux-based OS? Does its provider offer timely updates for security?
- Will it support popular single sign-on and smart card solutions from vendors such as Imprivata? Can it meet healthcare, financial services, and government standards for two-factor authentication, including standards from the Department of Defense?
Desktop as a Service (DaaS) growth is accelerating. As users gain greater trust in the cloud, DaaS service providers are expanding quickly, and discovering that PC repurposing software is a fast, cost-efficient way to build a bridge from local hardware to a rented desktop in the cloud.
Because of factors like these, 2017 should see strong growth in the VDI market.
If you would like to experience all these advantages test our PC conversion software and our client management solution NoTouch Center! Click on Free Trial and test-drive NoTouch Desktop right now.
VMworld Europe in Barcelona is only a couple days away. If you are heading to Barcelona don’t miss to stop by our booth #E326, where we will provide live demos of the market-leading PC repurposing and client management solution NoTouch Desktop. See exciting new features (e.g. NoTouch working with VMware’s new Blast Extreme protocol) that help make your VDI deployment faster, easier and more cost-efficient.
You’ll also receive
- A free T-shirt and Polar Bear key chain
- Free NoTouch Desktop licenses
- And a chance to win a drone!
Schedule a hassle-free discussion with one of our technical experts at VMworld to see how:
- to easily convert any PC or laptop (existing and brand new) into a smart, secure, “zero-like” VDI endpoint in seconds
- to get all the benefits of thin and zero-client computing with NoTouch out of the box
- NoTouch will unify your enduser’s desktops with one single high performance OS and one single management solution for all your devices
- well NoTouch Desktop works with VMware’s Horizon and other VDI solutions with its unmatched support for PCoIP, Blast Extreme and RDP as well as USB device redirection, Single Sign-On solutions and Real-Time Audio-Video (RTAV) for Horizon
- to manage your VDI endpoint network with the superior, centralized management tool “NoTouch Center”, that offers all the outstanding, enterprise-grade management features YOU need.
Slots for our demos fill up fast, but you can reserve your space right now! Our team will be in touch to confirm your slot.
Come visit us at booth #E326 at the VMworld Solutions Exchange from October 17th-20th, 2016 at the Fira Gran Via in Barcelona. We can’t wait to see you!
What makes NoTouch unbeatable? NoTouch is the most versatile, capable and always up-to-date endpoint OS on the market. The Stratodesk team released NoTouch 2.40.1173 with the latest clients of VMware and Citrix. In addition, you will find many other amazing updates.
NoTouch improvement and updates at a glance
- New Citrix Receiver 13.4 with new HDX RTME version
- New VMware Horizon 4.2.0 with Blast Extreme and PCoIP
- Imprivata Single-Sign-On improvements
- Java 8
- Support for Oracle Secure Global Desktop (SGD)
- and many more
- More information about the software update can be found in the release notes in our download portal. As always, we suggest updating to the most current NoTouch Center and Virtual Appliance as well to fully benefit from all the improvements made.
The new software versions (OS, Center and VA) are available for customers with current update subscription in our download portal . If you have questions feel free to reach out to us at any time.
After a very successful VMworld US in Las Vegas the preparations for VMworld Europe are in full swing. The Stratodesk team is looking forward to return to Barcelona for the third time in a row and we can’t wait to kick things off at the Fira Gran Via Barcelona on October 17th-20th again.
If you are attending VMworld Europe stop at our booth #E326! We are very excited to showcase the newest version on NoTouch Desktop with Blast Extreme as well as a lot of new security features, single sing-on capabilities and much more. Don’t miss the chance to win one of our awesome prizes or take home our cute polar bear key chain or one of our famous Stratodesk t-shirts.
Meet us at booth #E326 in the Solutions Exchange and learn how you can:
- Convert your PCs and laptops into smart, secure, “zero-like” VDI endpoints
- Get all the benefits of thin and zero-client computing out of the box
- Unify your enduser desktop devices in seconds
- Manage your VDI endpoint network with the included enterprise grade management tool from one single location
Schedule a demo with us at the booth and secure your demo spot now!
We can’t wait to see you at VMworld Europe in Barcelona.
A new NoTouch service update (update to Cathedral Peak) is available for you. NoTouch 2.40.1119 features the brand new Citrix Receiver 126.96.36.19909380. The release also includes improvements on Imprivata, on the new VMware Blast Extreme Protocol and an updated Philips Speechmike Plugin.
We recommend updating to NoTouch Center 4.2.148 which includes the corresponding parameter set for this OS version.
Both new software versions are available in our download portal to customers with current update subscription.
The Stratodesk team just came back from VMworld US 2016, which is one of our favorite industry events, and this year’s show in Las Vegas was the best yet!
But what makes VMworld US one of the most awesome events for Stratodesk as a vendor?
- New technology: VMworld is the largest virtualization-specific event. It is four full days of innovation and cutting-edge trends – from endpoint computing to data center, mobile devices and the cloud.
- Networking and fun: VMworld offers a lot of networking opportunities for vendors as well as for attendees to mingle with thought leaders, subject matter experts and IT professionals and it is always a lot of fun.
- But the most important reason is YOU, the attendees: Crowds of attendees are in the exhibition hall milling around the exhibitor booths, asking questions, listening to demos and talking to us, the vendors, about our products, roadmaps and news. VMware users understand the value of virtualization and are always looking for smart and efficient ways to virtualize their desktops and to streamline their desktop management. We enjoyed having you all at the Stratodesk booth very much.
Get a glimpse of action
Check out some of the photos from our booth and watch our CEO Emanuel Pirker presenting NoTouch Desktop, the leading VDI Endpoint OS and management solution on VMblog!
VMworld US 2016 was a great event for us and we are ready to be_TOMORROW very soon again. In less than 2 month Stratodesk will be exhibiting at VMworld Europe in Barcelona. We can’t wait to meet YOU, European virtualization specialists, in our booth again and we are looking forward to the vibe and fun of VMworld Europe.
CLAL Insurance Enterprises Holding Ltd (CLAL Group), one of Israel’s leading insurance, pension, and financial service groups, is another satisfied Stratodesk customer, who’s NoTouch success story we would like to present at this place. Stratodesk’s VDI OS NoTouch Desktop enabled CLAL to quickly repurpose 1,500 desktops as VDI endpoints, saving 80 percent compared to the cost of switching to thin clients. The IT team also uses NoTouch Center to remotely manage VDI endpoints at five company sites, and the team has the flexibility to add thin clients, PCs or laptops from any vendor as needed! With NoTouch Center the IT team saves 40 hours per week on eliminated maintenance issues alone.
Read the whole case study to learn more about savings and benefits CLAL Group achieved with NoTouch Desktop!
When contacting Stratodesk’s technical support ([email protected]), you might have been asked to send us a “support file”. But what is a support file exactly and how do you retreive one? Basically a support file is a “tar.gz”-formatted file that contains:
- Log files
- Output of several diagnostic commands that a system administrator would typically execute locally
- Hardware information (PCI device list, USB device list, DMI BIOS information)
The support file makes it easier for our support team to locate the issues and to help more quickly and efficiently.
How do you get a support file
To obtain this file, boot the client and start a browser on a remote machine. It would make no sense to do it on the client, because you want to download a file to send it to Stratodesk, so we suggest to do this on your ordinary workstation or virtual desktop:
- Point your web browser to https://188.8.131.52/ (Make sure you use the correct host name or IP address of the target client)
- Accept the browser warnings regarding HTTPS (SSL/secure connection) certificates
- Login with your client administator password (default: admin)
- On the left, click on “Support File” (“Diagnostic” section)
- Save the file and send it attached to your problem description email.
More information on how to obtain a supprt file e.g. without a network or how to obtain a support file from NoTouch Center or the Stratodesk Virtual Appliance can be found in our knowledge base. Please do not hestitate to contact [email protected] if you have any questions.
As wireless internet has become more prevalently used across all industries, NoTouch has evolved to operate seamlessly together with various Wireless LAN/WiFi/802.11/WLAN network scenarios, with or without personal or enterprise authentication methods. With NoTouch, configuration of WiFi networks is quick, easy and painless. Administrators can choose settings within NoTouch Center, eliminating the need to visit the endpoint ever again.
Whenever a supported wireless network adapter is present, you can connect to available WiFi networks in your area. NoTouch offers three scenarios:
- A system administrator presets one (or multiple) allowed and configured wireless networks
- Users employ a graphical tool to connect to any available network that they may have access to, such as in a hotel, airplane or café
- A third-party tool, Network Manager, is used to bypass all of the regular NoTouch configuration methods.
How does wireless configuration work?
With NoTouch, it’s easy to setup a wireless connection. Simply open the local configuration application or go to the “Wireless LAN” tab within NoTouch Center.
There are two parameters that must be set:
- Network name (SSID): Set this to the SSID of your wireless network.
- Security: Set this to your desired authentication/security method. If you just have a “WiFi password”, then select “WPA2 Personal”. If you have certificates or username/password then you’ll rather use “WPA2 Enterprise”.
Possible values include none (no security used), WEP, WPA Enterprise, WPA Personal, WPA2 Enterprise and WPA2 Personal. NoTouch supports whatever authentication method necessary for your use-case. For more information, please see the detailed article in our online knowledge base, or contact our team of dedicated support engineers at [email protected]
. We are happy to help!