NoTouch Release 2.39 “Mineral King” is out. Following on the excellent “Point Reyes” product generation, Mineral King improves administration, VDI experience and security in many aspects. Along with the NoTouch OS comes an update to NoTouch Center (now at 4.1.28) and an update to our Virtual Appliance software (now at 1.0-65).
- VMware Horizon View client 3.1
- Firefox 32
- Windows-based rollout routine (install NoTouch with an MSI package)
- Multiple versions of Citrix clients in one OS image: 13.0 and 12.1
- Cisco VPN support including the OpenConnect SSL connector
- Fluendo Multimedia codec pack add-on support
- FabulaTech USB-over-RDP add-on support
- Extensibility and configurability allows to customize more aspects of the system
- Host firewall on the Virtual Appliance
As usual, many of these changes had already been deployed to our customers, also there were intermediate releases with for example VMware Horizon View client 2.3.4. The actual changelog and list of improvements – as always – is too long to be shown here. We kindly suggest to read the release notes that are available for download together with the actual release binaries.
An absolute highlight is the Windows-based rollout mechanism. It will actually overwrite Windows and replace it with NoTouch, but you can start it from within Windows by simply rolling out an MSI package. This works with both Windows Group Policies as well as third-party tools. Our MSI installer will reboot, reformat the harddisk, and automatically convert the PC into a NoTouch terminal.
Since we have introduced the multi-kernel NoTouch OS earlier this year, there is now a consistent naming of OS images:
- k206. Intended for “older” machines (Linux kernel 2.6) with 1 GB RAM and less
- k305. Should run on most available machines
- k313. For very new machines and laptops
With these different images, widest hardware support can be achieved. All are equal with regards to user experience and manageability.
NoTouch 2.39 runs on PCs and Thin Clients with at least 256 MB RAM. The standard image requires 768 MB Flash or hard drive space, though smaller builds are available. NoTouch OS 2.39 works best with NoTouch Center 4.1.28 that has been released at the same time. A current Stratodesk Virtual Appliance image 20140912 was released as well. All builds together form “Release Mineral King”, named after Mineral King Valley, a remote mountain valley in California’s Sierra Nevada. Unnoticed by most visitors to the Sequoia/Kings Canyon National Park, Mineral King offers hiking opportunities with breathtaking views on the Great Western Divide, a secluded, high mountain range.
Please log in to www.stratodesk.com/login to download. NoTouch 2.39 is available to subscribed customers free of charge.
If you have any problems or questions on how to update to this release please contact [email protected]